Fraunhofer USA is seeking an Audio/Video Technician, Recording Engineer, or Post-Production Audio Engineer to consult on a project basis for its Digital Media Technologies Office in San Jose, California.
Fraunhofer USA Digital Media Technologies supports and promotes the media technologies of MP3 inventor Fraunhofer IIS. These innovations are used by the major companies in Silicon Valley and are present in at least 10 billion consumer devices, being mandatory parts of iOS, Android, and Windows, among others.
We are looking for someone who can plan, prepare, install, and maintain media systems for trade shows and events and coordinate the technical operation of trade show exhibits. This person will also install and maintain equipment in DMT studios and listening rooms.
If you help us, you will be part of a low-profile but influential small team that works with the titans of the Valley on new products and technologies and will gain experience with the latest technologies in audio such as immersive “3D” sound, binaural rendering, and interactive music.
Tasks we need accomplished include:
- Planning and operating trade show demonstrations. This can range from a soundbar and TV set to research prototypes with racks of behind-the-curtain stuff. Our CES exhibits routinely include an immersive car and a prefabricated listening room we assemble on the show floor. A very complex demo we did at NAB 2015 is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/embed/
- Coordinating audio and video and other technical requirements with company “booth builder” exhibition contractors and convention service contractors. Ordering needed show services and supervising contractors during show set-up and tear-down.
- Installing and maintaining equipment in studios and listening rooms in San Jose.
- Receiving, inventorying, and storing equipment and materials after shows.
- Similar demonstrations at customer premises, if you are available.
Our typical shows are CES, NAB, NAMM, AES, and SMPTE.
To be successful at this, you would need to understand both professional audio equipment and consumer audio devices. You will also need some ability to setup and troubleshoot simple IP networks using the Linux, MacOS, or Windows command line.
You will need experience with production or post-production in Pro Tools, Nuendo, or other DAW software in order to run some demos. It would also be helpful if you can do simple editing in Resolve or Premiere.
You must be able to hear common artifacts or defects in audio and perceive video quality issues.
While this will not be stagehand or grunt work, there is an occasional need to drive a cargo van and lift 40 pounds to head height. Also, you must be able to handle the stress of a trade show environment and resolve problems in “live on the air” situations.
Non-technical work may be done remotely, but technical work will need to be done in our office near San Jose airport, and, of course, at the trade shows and events.
In March 2007, Fraunhofer USA, Inc. established, as an internal unit, Fraunhofer USA Digital Media Technologies (DMT), which since then has become an important strategic partner for Fraunhofer IIS in the market development and introduction of new products. Fraunhofer IIS is a research institute of Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, Germany. Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is a non-profit research and development organization, with headquarters in Plymouth, Michigan. Fraunhofer USA is a legally independent affiliate of Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft.
How to apply:
Contact us here