PMC designs & manufacturers high-end audio products destined for the very top of the consumer, professional and custom installation markets. We are looking to recruit two Design Engineers with the skills to develop high-calibre products that meet the expectations of our discerning customers and make an active contribution to the growth of the company.
As a Design Engineer you will be responsible for a range of product development tasks, working in a small team to take projects all the way from concept to manufacture. Projects within the department will present an opportunity to work across a wide range of engineering disciplines – electroacoustics, analog & digital audio electronics, mechanical & industrial design and embedded systems.
The Design Engineer has a comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of product design, with experience delivering passive and/or active loudspeaker designs on-budget and on-schedule. A detailed understanding of mechanical engineering and design-for-manufacture is also highly desirable.
A successful candidate will display excellent creative problem-solving skills, a passion for engineering, and the determination to uphold the principles of quality that PMC’s reputation is built upon.
- Design & develop new loudspeaker and audio products from given design specification; through concept to end design:
— Utilise 3D CAD to develop concepts based on product specification
— Specify & evaluate loudspeaker drive units
— Design passive crossovers
— Validate prototype designs through both subjective listening tests and objective measurement techniques in a rigorous, controlled and repeatable manner
— Create technical drawings of parts and components using computer aided design software
— Specify manufacturing tolerances & liaise with our Quality Dept. to ensure a smooth transition from design to mass production
— Communicate with external suppliers to source and develop parts and components
— Ensure projects are delivered on budget through accurate calculation of BOM costs and management of project schedule
— Contribute to manufacturing documentation such as build guides and test processes
- Produce monthly technical reports regarding design project progress
- Produce technical reports on areas of research, testing and component analysis when required to
- Education to Degree level (or equiv.) in a relevant engineering discipline.
- 2+ years design experience in industry.
- Excellent knowledge of the manufacturing process of loudspeakers and/or consumer electronics.
- Experience designing high-quality loudspeakers & crossovers or other similar audio products.
- An understanding of electroacoustic drive unit principles
- Ability to produce manufacturing drawings with 3D CAD software.
- Capable of managing project budgets, schedules & BOM costs with a good sense prioritisation.
- Clear, effective communication.
- A desire to complete tasks in a thorough, rigorous manner with a high attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in subjective listening tests.
- Highly motivated, with the ability to work independently or within a team.
Desirable Additional Attributes
- A strong understanding of loudspeaker drive unit design & specification
- Ability to guide other team members
- Experience with audio test & measurement systems
- Experience of transmission line loudspeaker design
- Experience in audio electronics design, embedded systems or DSP
- Knowledge of hifi/music/recording and broadcast techniques or personal interest in these areas.
Hours & Location
Full-time (37.5 hours/week) at our Biggleswade, Beds office.
Salary according to experience
How to apply: Please send you CV with covering letter to Oliver Thomas, CTO & Commercial Director to: firstname.lastname@example.org